Updated: Mar 7
The eye is a vital organ that provides us with the sense of sight, allowing us to perform countless activities everyday, whether working, reading, writing, driving a car or watching television.
Maintaining eye health improves the quality of life for people through their lifespan. Proper eye health care helps slow down the processes associated with aging such as macular degeneration.
Nutrition for healthy eyes:
Vitamin A,B,C,E, Lutein, Zeaxanthin, Selenium, Lycopene and Zinc are important to maintain healthy eyes. These nutrients are helpful for many types of eye problems like poor vision, cataract, glaucoma, age related macular degeneration. These nutrients help to keep the blood vessels, retina healthy and to slow the aging of the eye.
Exercise for healthy eyes:
Eye exercises are beneficial because they reduce eyestrain, help eyes work together and keep eye muscles strong and flexible. Other conditions that appear to benefit from eye exercises are; headaches, fatigue, concentration problems and vision related learning disabilities.
1.Close your eyes tightly for 3-5 seconds and then open them for 3-5 seconds. Repeat this 7-8 times.
2.Close your eyes and massage them very lightly with circular movements of your fingers for 1-2 minutes.
3.Sit and relax. Roll your eyes clockwise, then counter-clockwise. Repeat 5 times and blink in between each time.
4. Hold a pencil in front of you at arm's length. Move your arm slowly to your nose and follow the pencil with your eyes, until you can't keep it in focus.
5. Focus on a distant object (over 150 feet or 50 m away) for several seconds and slowly refocus your eye on a nearby object (less than 30 feet or 10 m away) that's in the same direction. Focus for several seconds back to the distant object. Do this 5 times.
Tips for buying good sunglasses:
Protect your eyes by wearing sunglasses. Besides making you look pretty slick, a good pair of shades can provide protection from the Sun’s harmful rays!
(1) Look for a label that tells you how much UV protection the sunglasses offer. Ideally, your shades should block 99% to 100% of UV protection.
(2) Close-fitting sunglasses helps to block light more effectively. Look for wraparound shades or large lenses.
(3) Gray, green, and brown lenses usually give better protection than other colors.
(4) More expensive shades may be more fashionable, but they don't provide more protection.
Flight the dark circle menace:
Many people suffer from dark circles under or around the eyes. Dark circles make people look tired and exhausted, if not unhealthy and can occur due to a wide variation of reasons. Dark circles are seen in all age groups but seem to occur more in major causes attributed to this menace are lack of sleep and stress. However hereditary is also held as a reason often.
Follow these steps to get rid of dark circles:
(1) Drinking Lots of Water
(2) Get Plenty of Sleep
(3) Eat plenty of fruit and vegetables (vitamin C and iron) and cut down your salt intake.
(4) Stop Smoking.
Tips for Watching television and working at a computer:
(1) Keep a distance of 8-10 feet between your eyes and the TV screen.
(2) Blink your eyes frequently w program.
(3) Do not turn off the lights in the room.
(4) Give your eyes a break every half hour if you are watching a low
Use a screen filter to cut down on glare
(1) Adjust the brightness and contrast of the monitor
(2) Take frequent breaks
(3) Blink frequently to keep your eyes well lubricated
(4) Periodically, look up from the screen and focus on an object to reduce eye fatigue.
Things to always remember for healthy eyes:
Eat lots of fruits & vegetables, especially carrots, which are helpful in maintaining healthy eyes.
Press cold cucumber slices gently against the eyes for 10 minutes before going to sleep at night to prevent puffiness.
Wear UV protective sunglasses. Get polarized lenses, not just darker lenses.
Try not to spend a lot of time glaring at your TV or computer screen.
Be sure to wear goggles or eye protective glasses while working with hazardous things to ensure safety of eyes in case of any mishap.
Read the labels of eye drop bottles carefully because many eye drops can not be used if you are wearing contact lenses
Never look into the sun for long.
Visit Bina Clinic Eye Care Centre, Alkapur for your regular eye check up to ensure your utmost eye health.